"Mom, can we cook a cake?' The answer is definitely yes with this easy German Chocolate Cake recipe
"Cooking a cake" as my kids call it, is great with this easy German Chocolate Cake recipe. My dear Dad always LOVED German Chocolate cake and who could blame him? The combination of chocolate, coconut and pecans is delicious! Using a cake mix cuts down on preparation time and the need for many ingredients in the cupboard.
DID YOU KNOW?
Contrary to popular belief, German chocolate cake did not originate in Germany. Its roots can be traced back to 1852 when American Sam German developed a brand of dark baking chocolate for the American Baker's Chocolate Company. The product, Baker's German's Sweet Chocolate, was named in honor of him.
Easy German Chocolate Cake Ingredients
1-1/3 cups flaked coconut
1 cup chopped pecans
1 package (18-1/4 ounces) German chocolate cake mix
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
4 cups confectioners' sugar
German Chocolate Cake Directions:
1) Sprinkle the coconut and pecans into a greased and floured 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan.
2) Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Pour batter into prepared pan.
3) In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Beat in egg and confectioners' sugar until smooth.
4) Drop by tablespoonfuls over the batter. Carefully spread to within 1 in. of edges.
5) Bake at 325° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; invert onto a serving plate.